synchronize passwd in LDAP ?!

thomas springer thomas.springer at rz.tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Sep 15 16:18:45 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm testing the LDAP functions of samba. I get the samba PDC to work and
the user information is stored in LDAP. My users can login from an NT-WS
and are able to change their passwords.
In the doco there is a link to RFC2307, which I use for authenticting my
linux users. (some of them are not local they are only in LDAP) This
works fine.
Now I want that samba synchronize the passwords for UNIX (saved in a
posixAccount entry in LDAP) and samba.
When adding a user via smbpasswd -x -a user1
only the samba attributes are created in ldap, however the attributes
like userpassword, homedirectory, loginshell are not migrated neither
from /etc/passwd nor the ldap entries of the unix users.
If the user entry already exists in LDAP then adding the user with
smbpasswd is not possible. So the merging doesn't work automaticaly. I
tried this by hand, but there are still no synchronized passwords.

When I run smbpasswd as a user then it tells me:
 Failed to open LDAP passwd file

What does that mean ?

My ldap users can login in linux via pam.

It would be great, if someone give me a hint how to synchronize
passwords for NT and Unix with ldap and samba.

Thanks in advance

Thomas