utmp[x]/wtmp[x] logging?

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Sep 3 14:14:49 GMT 1999

David Lee wrote:

> Has any thought being given to supplementing this
> with utmpx/wtmpx -style logging on UNIX?

David,

I do this using a preexec script on a share.  The
problem with making this thing native to smbd is that
you will have a tremendous amount of logging.  As connection
come and go depending on things like 'dead time'

I recommend using a preexec and postexec script on a
common share that you know everyone will access.  Not
the home directory.  as this ends up with two connections
during a domain logon (at least with roaming profiles it
does if the profiles are in the home directory).

I can send you source for a tool that compiles under
Solaris 2.5.1 if you want.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter