can samba be configured to act as a P-node or B-node (not m-node)

tridge at linuxcare.com tridge at linuxcare.com
Fri Sep 3 01:21:41 GMT 1999

> Looking at some old messages (and the source) and by inspection of packets,
> it seems I can't configure samba (I'm using 2.0.3 on redhat 6.0) as a
> P-node or a B-node (it seems it only acts as m-node).
> (am I correct?)

the main thing that is affected by the choice of mode is a client, not
a server. On the client side we have the "name resolve order" option
that totally controls name resolution order. You can set it to
whatever you like and get P, B, M or H behaviour.

> I'm doing WINS server support  and I  think (from reading the RFCs)
> we could have very interesting scenarios with different machines
> with the same name, 1 as a b-node and 1 as a p-node (seems the
> namespaces are disjoint).

I'm don't think they really are disjoint. A P-node will still
defend a name if it receives a conflicting registration request that
happened to be broadcast. Certainly Samba will do that.

hmmm, looking at RFC1002 this behaviour is probably technically
incorrect but I think it is the only sane thing to do.

I wonder, are there any pure P-node (as per RFC1002) implementations
out there? It wouldn't make any sense to me.

Cheers, Tridge