standard substitutions versus basic standard substitutions

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Wed Oct 27 14:42:22 GMT 1999

> Since substitutions are deferred until we access a parameter, why can't we
> roll all the extra ones that standard_sub applies into standard_sub_basic.
> That way all variables will be available to all parameter strings.

because standard_sub() needs a connection structure, and there are
lots of places where no connection structure is available when the
variable is referenced. A connection structure is only available when
you are in a connection context, so that the user is asking to do
something on a connected share.