standard substitutions versus basic standard substitutions

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Oct 23 12:38:46 GMT 1999

Hi,

for a documentation project I am doing, I have been looking at things like
the variable substitutions that occur, and there seem to be three types ...

1. standard_sub_basic which applies a set of substitutions when parameters
are referred to via lp_ functions that are generated with the macros
FN_GLOBAL_STRING and FN_LOCAL_STRING

2. standard_sub, which introduces a few extra substitutions and then calls
standard_sub_basic. In particular, it introduces some extra substitutions
that are only available from the connection structure ...

3. Some individual substitutions ... done with string_sub and pstring_sub.

Why is there a difference between standard sub and standard_sub_basic.

Since substitutions are deferred until we access a parameter, why can't we
roll all the extra ones that standard_sub applies into standard_sub_basic.
That way all variables will be available to all parameter strings.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course