max size

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 21 21:38:10 GMT 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

> On 1999-10-21 23:11:15 +1000, P&K Computer Consultants Ltd wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 00:56:32 +1000, samba at samba.org wrote:
> > >How bout using server side automation. When the guy connects to
> > >[homes], the preexec= command takes a directory, and if it has two
> > >many bytes it disconnects the person.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea for two reasons:
>
> 1) It doesn't prevent a user from filling up the disk in the first
> place - as long as he stays connected he can create new files without
> limit.
>
> 2) Once he has disconnected and is over the limit, he can never
> reconnect to delete any files.
>
> Quotas are better.
>
> BTW: Does anybody have a good idea to alert users once they exceed their
> soft quotas? Right now I'm sending an email once per day, but I think
> the warning should be more immediate unfortunately there doesn't seem to
> be any non-polling way to detect this condition so the best thing I can
> think of is calling repquota rather frequently (e.g. once per half-hour)
> and notifying users via winpopup if they haven't already been notified.

i think this would be very useful if handled at a lower level within
samba.

what i envision is that whenever an open, create, or write fails, the
samba server could detect that the cause of the failure was a quota
violation and then call an exception handler defined in smb.conf.
the exception handler could call winpopup or whatever to alert the user.

does this sound doable?  would it require major changes to the guts of
samba?

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \