Sidebar to "Corporate Reactions to Linux": simple sanity checks.

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Oct 14 20:29:30 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> wrote:
|		 however, you still cannot cater for
| the case where the stupid user sets up a PDC without a WINS server
entry
| (wins server = yes) as they will take over the local subnet segment
and
| therefore disrupt login services on that local subnet.

	Sigh... about three years ago, when I was the research
	assistant on a book project, I was going to have a look
	at diagnosing mutually contradictory smb.conf options
	at about debug level 2, in my Copious Spare Time.

	If anyone wants to put in code to diagnose such things,
	I have a working paper on things which could clash
	with each other, up to date for about 2.0.1 that I
	could modernize...

	Examples?  Well, create/directory mask -vs- map archive,
	for one, wins server -vs- wins support and so on.

--dave (your first book is like your first major programming
	project... a tiny bit stressfull (;-)) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com