SAMBA-TECHNICAL digest 865

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Oct 4 12:27:49 GMT 1999

Jeremy Allison <jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com> wrote:
> 1). Evil Hacker (tm) crashes the real NT PDC (quite easy I'm
> afraid if it has a TCP port 139 open).
>
> 2). Evil Hacker (tm) sets their own laptop up as a logon
> server and registers the 1C name for the domain (which they
> can now do as the PDC is down).
>
> 3). Evil Hacker (tm) uses smbclient to connect as user "root"
> to a Samba server, and sets his own laptop to allow any password
> authentication for the user "root"......

	This is exactly what a hacker in Kansas did with
	a Yellow Pages server he subverted in Canada, in
	an attack on a client in Japan, circa 1990.
	The international phone call, in the middle of
	the night, was something of a "security wake-up call"
	for my organization (;-))

	I recommend the Samba team be a bit cautious about
	reproducing the problem.

	However, you might instead wish to consider this
	as a different problem:
Time Towers wrote:
> If there was a %D substitution for workgroup/domain
> then "password server = $d.ntpdc.whatever" could be
> used to automatically configure it using DNS,

	This sounds more like as an opportunity
	to consider parameterization of smb.conf files.
	What, if anything, do you plan to do in the
	foreseeable future towards such site-local changes?

	If you don't want to add more complexity to the
	file and SWAT, it could be treated as a Unix
	problem instead of a Samba problem: the sites
	desiring centrally maintained .conf files might
	use m4 macros to  edit the scripts, possibly under
	the control of track or rdist.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com