Serious error in OReilly Using Samba book

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Nov 28 03:31:23 GMT 1999

Hi,

Chapter 5 of the OReilly Using Samba, Table 5.1 repeats the same old
egregious mistake that has appeared in other sources as well.

It claims that OS Version (Operating System Value) for Windows NT Server
4.0 is 33, while that for NT Server 3.51 is 32, and NT Workstation 4.0 is
17 while NT Workstation 3.51 is 16.

Repeat after me: THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE, certainly for SP1.

I have checked it.  Windows NT 4.0 uses a value of 32 (0x20) as does
Windows NT Server 3.51. If anyone has seen other values for SP4, 5, or 6, I
would be interested in seeing them.  I suspect that even Win2000 server
uses a value of 32 in this field, and probably a larger value for the
Election Version.

This means people will not understand why we suggest an OS level of 33 is
enough to have Samba win an election in the presence of NT Server of any
value.

So, do I get a free copy of the book for finding such a serious mistake?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course