Needs help with File Permissions on NT

Sarabjit Singh SinghS at cbs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Nov 24 04:09:18 GMT 1999

Can someone please help

We are running samba 1.9 on Solaris 2.6 server and samba 2.0.4 on Solaris 7 server

On both the servers student access their home directories by NT workstations. In 1.9 version While accessing their home drives through NT explorer -> Properties they see file system as SAMBA and they only see 'General' tab so they can't change the permissions to their home directories.

In new version While accessing their home drives through NT explorer -> Properties they see file system as NTFS, and see two tabs 'General' and 'Security' and they can go to Security and mess up with the permission on their home directories. We have tried changing the file system by fstype = SAMBA . It does change the file system but security tab is still there in new version.

on Solaris they have 701 on their homedirs
drwx-----x  on /home/myhomedir.

Can someone please help regrading it. We don't want student to change permission on their home directories so how to get rid of security tab in new version of samba.

Thanks

Sarabjit Singh

Sarabjit Singh
Systems Programmer