NT5rc2 -> Samba PDC

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Fri Nov 19 21:48:48 GMT 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> Someone help me out (i'm working from memory here), but
> aren't there changes between 2.0.x and the HEAD branch that
> will break a Samba PDC install?  Domain SID issues maybe?

1 major is the RID mapping issue. In 2.0 you map domain groups and users
to gids and uids whereas in 2.1 you map domain groups, local groups (aka
aliases) and users to gids and uids. The mapping function is not the same.

1 minor one is the ability under 2.1 to behave as multiple PDCes at the
same time under different SIDs whereas 2.0 use the same SID.

another minor one is the group and user mapping have totally changed under
2.1. 2.1 acts exactly like an NT PDC whereas in 2.0 you map all the admin
users to the same RID.

> in 2.0.x  is perfectly fine for some shops.  So then
> the issue here really becomes is backward compatibility
> with a 2.0 PDC in future releases (right now 2.1-prealpha).

complex, you'll loose backward compatiblity with either 2.0 or
2.1-prealpha.

	J.F.