NT5rc2 -> Samba PDC

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Nov 19 20:18:31 GMT 1999

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Committing it will make the merge easier. Remember, we're
> not trying to *punish* people for using our recommended,
> stable release :-).

Hmmm....well after some thought....

Someone help me out (i'm working from memory here), but
aren't there changes between 2.0.x and the HEAD branch that
will break a Samba PDC install?  Domain SID issues maybe?

As one person pointed out to me, the pdc functionality
in 2.0.x  is perfectly fine for some shops.  So then
the issue here really becomes is backward compatibility
with a 2.0 PDC in future releases (right now 2.1-prealpha).

These questions are becoming more and more pressing as
more and more people are asking for a production release
(their boss doesn't allow alpha test code in production...
don't know why though ;) ).

What is the defining answer as to why someone should
not run a Samba PDC based on the 2.0.x code branch?
If there is not one, then I'll be quiet.

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )