Printers on NT Workstation to Samba, Access denied, Unable to connect

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Nov 18 10:10:37 GMT 1999

Hi,

I said:

>What is the standard fix for this problem
>
>I have defined a printer under Windows NT Wks that points to a Samba
server, >server is in security=user.

>I login as a different user, who has an account on the Samba server, but
the >printer shows up as Access denied, Unable to connect.

>Is it the way I have defined the printer, or should I set up a virtual
server >that has a valid guest account?

OK, having looked at this some more, I can see that Windows NT is simply
dropping the connection after the NEGPROT response comes back from Samba.

I suspect that it objects to the lack of Encrypted passwords.  This is NT
4.0 WS SP1.  It will access file shares OK.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course