Windows 2000 and cached passwords ...

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Nov 17 07:04:46 GMT 1999

Hi,

Does anyone know if Win 2K can be convinced to cache passwords.

What I have noticed is that if you access a network resource after loggin
in, Win2K sends the Sesssetup&X without a password.  It then has to put up
a dialog box asking you for your password.

Once it has the connection up, it does not need to ask for any more passwords.

However, if you disconnect all trees (net use /d \\server\service, for
example), then you need a password again.

Of course, once we get Win2K joining a domain, all this should be
irrelevant.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course