O'reilly samba book vs. BROWSING.txt

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Nov 15 22:24:41 GMT 1999

> >>The DMB is supposed to register itself in the WINS (NBNS) server, and the
> >>local master is supposed to find the DMB via WINS.  The LMB then
> >>periodically exchanges updates with the DMB.  Wind/95 is supposed to be
> >>able to do this.  See:
> >>
> >>  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q148/5/27.asp
> >
> >Ok, BROWSING.txt is right and the book is wrong.
>
> Well, I had better make damn well sure that I don't get it wrong in my
> book, eh :-)

Richard,

Note the excessive use of the phrase "supposed to" in my comment above.

You might want to test it out.  We have seen gaps between documented and
empirical behavior before, have we not?

I would really like to see some more solid evidence on this.  I'll write
the docs if someone can provide the info.

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---