O'reilly samba book vs. BROWSING.txt

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 15 08:52:06 GMT 1999

At 08:43 AM 11/16/99 +1100, giulioo at tiscalinet.it wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:04:37 +1100, hai scritto:
>
>>>BROWSING.txt says:
>>>- in the other 2 subnets you need a local master browser, which could be
>>>a Win9x machine.
>
>>>O'reilly "Using Samba" says (chapter 5, available online):
>>>1) You must have either a Windows NT or Samba machine acting as a local
>>>master browser on each subnet in the workgroup/domain. (If you have a
>>>domain master browser in a subnet, a local master browser is not
>>>needed.)
>
>>The DMB is supposed to register itself in the WINS (NBNS) server, and the
>>local master is supposed to find the DMB via WINS.  The LMB then
>>periodically exchanges updates with the DMB.  Wind/95 is supposed to be
>>able to do this.  See:
>>
>>  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q148/5/27.asp
>
>Ok, BROWSING.txt is right and the book is wrong.

Well, I had better make damn well sure that I don't get it wrong in my
book, eh :-)

What book you ask?  Special Edition, Using Samba, 800 pages. Delayed a bit
while I fix up Win2k joining a Samba domain :-(

>--
>giulioo at tiscalinet.it

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course