DNS_SYNC remaining up

moroder claudiamoroder at st-ulrich.suedtirol.net
Sun Nov 14 19:50:01 GMT 1999

today i got the new samba 2.06 and i tried to put into this version my SNMP
expansion I made for 2.05. trying this I have found a error in nmbd.

The buggy behavior happens if:

DNS_SYNC is enable:
The initialization fails because of an error after the start of the child
and before the man loop ( process ).

What happens:
The dns child remains alive even if the original nmbd and and the log tells
me it did end.

I did find this bug because I have a strange configuration. I started nmbd
on a standalone machine only to try out, as explainde above, my SNMP module.
With 2.05 nmbd did start well, now it does recognize that there is only
localhost an it exits because it did not find subnetworks.

I know, there is no sense in having DNS_SYNC compiled in, but thats another
question.

Andreas Moroder