Funnies with Win2K professional RC2 install

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Tue Nov 9 17:28:04 GMT 1999

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> > Problem solved.  You have to reboot after changing that registry setting
> > before it takes effect ...
>
> Really?  They *promised* that they'd be reducing the number of required
> reboots to almost nil.

I heared of promised 75% less reboots (say, one of four still remains to
be optimized). And, in fact, you need less reboots (I already experienced
that).

And I think, in this case (putting some stuff deep inside the registry)
it's like in Linux when you change a config file but you don't know how to
HUP the associated process. So the easiest way is to reboot (as it is in
Linux in this case).

I think, the reboots they reduced mean that the config dialogs can handle
these HUPs by themselves now. But only if you change the values via these
dialogs.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
- Wos waas I