Interesting Win95 behaviour if dots in NetBIOS name and name is 15

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Nov 3 16:25:52 GMT 1999

Richard,

I'm going to keep this.  I'd be interested to see what you get for NT4
(and if it changes per service pack).

I asked Paul Leach about this at the 2nd CIFS conference and he gave me a
long explanation about the mechanics of the decision of how the name would
be handled.  There are guesses involved in the is it a DNS or NetBIOS name
question.  At the time, MS were fairly certain that NetBIOS names were
essentially the same as DNS names.  Paul told me he really didn't know
that much about DNS anyway.

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---