Multiple Interfaces in WINS

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu May 6 11:40:34 GMT 1999

Clay Fandre wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple interfaces listed in WINS under one
> netbios name? I am running a server which is connected to 3 subnets and
> currently any client requests go to the IP that is listed in WINS.

	This was discused recently in the jCIFS group, and the answer
	seem to be no: WINS "knows that you don't want to do that".
	The underlying assumption appears to be that a workgroup will
	only exist on a bridged LAN, which is no longer true.

	You may need to split your workgroups up artificially
	and provide one per subnet to get around WINS binding
	of names to interfaces, or, more likely, provide multiple
	names for your serevr, one per subnet.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com