Generatig Encrypted smbpasswd file

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue May 4 16:06:58 GMT 1999

Sam Mbir-Bondzie wrote:

> I would therefore be glad if anyone out there could help me with an
> easier way of generating the encrypted smbpasswd from either the
> /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow password file without the 32X's but the
> actual
> encrypted smbpasswd file.

As already mentioned, there is no way to do this. You might want to
look at the "update encrypted" parameter. This allows you to start
with plaintext passwords. As each user logs in, the smbpasswd file
is updated. After a period of time (to give each user time to log in
at least once) you then enable encrypted passwords.

This is a somewhat "painless" way except that you start by using
plaintext passwords.

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177