Windows NT and OS version again

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Sat Mar 20 21:27:13 GMT 1999

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> I have just fired up Windows NT Server 4.0 and confirmed that it uses an OS
> version of 32.
>
> The reason I asked is that John Blair's book claims that Windows NT 4.0
> Server uses an OS version of 33, while NT 3.51 uses an OS version of 32.
> See for example Page 42, the table at the bottom. He also claims that
> Windows NT WS 4.0 uses 17 while Windows NT WS 3.51 uses 16.

	Hmmn: that's what I have too, in a chapter for the
	(slowly proceeding) O'Reilly book.

	I think we both depended on an inaccurate reference somewhere:
	It's from my chapter 1, so it predates John's book (;-))

> I am not trying to stick it to John. I am just concerned about what I wrote
> in the book SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours. We conflict in what we
> wrote, and I did check traces and have just checked NT 4.0 Server, and am
> about to check NT WS 4.0 ...
>
> Hmmm, NT WS 4.0 sets the Election OS Summary to 16.

	I had 17 for 4.0, 16 for 3.51: neither of them came from
	experiment, so I'd trust the values you get over the
	quoted ones.

--dave (3rd author of the O'Reilly book, after two different
	lead authors burned out) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com