nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Mar 19 13:05:33 GMT 1999

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> I actually started to write that kind of thing.  I believe now that I was
> wrong headed.  Still, it's worth talking about.  I could be wrong about
> being wrong headed.  ;)

	The practical answer is "whatever MS does next".  Alas,
	in the general case this requires prescience.

	In the DNS case, we know where all the blind alleys are, and
	we know that MS is going to use DNS with LDAP as a registry
	in the near future. This may constrain the problem enough that
	there will be only a few "right" answers.

	Based on insufficient information, I speculate that MS will
	wish names to be constrained to ones which DNS clients
	will accept.  Especially Windows clients!  Extended forms
	of names will be supported for backwards compatability, but
	will not be encouraged, and will probably pull diagnostics
	when entered.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com