How to make timestamps on samba files set by server time, not PC time.

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 23:22:10 GMT 1999

We have a Samba server version 1.9.16p11 (yes, I know it's old) set up
on Solaris 2.5.1 which is accessed by a number of maverick PC's generally
running Windows '95 and sometimes NT.

We'd like to set things up so that when people put files or change
files on the solaris server the time reported is *not* the time given
by the PC which can be mucked around with. Instead we'd like the times
reported as given by our well-maintained server which has the correct
time. (And even if it doesn't that's the time we want to see.)

Can this be done? How? If it's possible to run a script after each
create or modification we could do something like issue a "touch"
command after every change. But perhaps there's a better solution.

Thanks.