nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 17 19:07:44 GMT 1999

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am struggling to understand the problem here. On first seeing Peter's EM
> and on reading this EM, I divined the problem to be:
>
> A multi-homed Samba server is registering itself under WINS with multiple
> IP addresses (since it has multiple IP addresses) and the WINS server is
> running on the Samba server.

if this is the case then it _may_ be that if a broadcast-lookup is being
performed that _only_ one ip address should be returned.  this is
_nothing_ to do with samba-as-a-wins-server it is
samba-as-a-wins-client-claiming-and-defending-netbios-names-even-though-it-may-be-sending-those-names-on-loopback-to-another-part-of-nmbd-which-is-acting-as-a-wins-server.