nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 10:44:54 GMT 1999

Chris summarises the problem - as I see it -  correctly.

I only have Windows NT workstation clients and none are multihomed - so alas I
can not carry out some of the tests that would undoubtedly be good to try.
Many thanks to all those who have made suggestions.  I can not find netmon on
either the NT 4.0 sp3 workstation installation or the CD - we do not have NT
Server - that is the whole idea of having Samba :-).

Just to re-iterate one more time:

test-nt - Windows 4.0 sp3 workstation - single homed

queries using Netbios over TCP for name KUDOS

biela - Samba 2.0.3 nmbd (on Solaris 2.5.1) running as WINS server - single
homed

gets back 2 addresses and complains.

kudos - Samba 2.0.3 nmbd running - mulithomed - has interfaces statements -
has biela as WINS server.

Here is the key TCPDUMP snatch:

callisto.brunel.ac.uk% ~peter/tcpdump-solaris-2.5 -i le0 -s 200 port 137^M
tcpdump-solaris-2.5: listening on le0^M
12:03:06.227154 test-nt.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns > biela.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns
:
^M
>>> NBT UDP PACKET(137): QUERY; REQUEST; UNICAST^M
TrnID=0x802C^M
OpCode=0^M
NmFlags=0x10^M
Rcode=0^M
QueryCount=1^M
AnswerCount=0^M
AuthorityCount=0^M
AddressRecCount=0^M
QuestionRecords:^M
Name=KUDOS           NameType=0x20 (Server)^M
QuestionType=0x20^M
QuestionClass=0x1^M
^M
^M
12:03:06.228233 biela.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns > test-nt.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns
:
^M
>>> NBT UDP PACKET(137): QUERY; POSITIVE; RESPONSE; UNICAST^M
TrnID=0x802C^M
OpCode=0^M
NmFlags=0x58^M
Rcode=0^M
QueryCount=0^M
AnswerCount=1^M
AuthorityCount=0^M
AddressRecCount=0^M
^M
ResourceRecords:^M
Name=KUDOS           NameType=0x20 (Server)^M
ResType=0x20^M
ResClass=0x1^M
TTL=518141^M
ResourceLength=12^M
ResourceData=^M
[000] 40 00 86 53 10 19 40 00  86 53 60 14              @..S.. at . .S`.^M

I have also looked at the Knowledge Base Articles: Q216471 (NetBT Improvements
for Connections Between Multihomed Computers), Q161425 (WinNT 4.0 SP2
Multihomed Computer Connection Enhancement) - this one indicates:

When a directed name query is sent to a Windows Internet Name Service (WINS)
server, the WINS server responds with a list of all IP addresses that were
registered with WINS by the multihomed computer.

implying that Netbios names can map to multiple addresses - so may be nmbd is
at fault?

Also Q131641 (NetBT Supports One IP Address per NIC) implies this.

BTW: in my original query I found nmbd from 1.9.18p10 to fail acting as a WINS
server (The DNS helper process would dissappear) - 2.0.3 so far has proved
stable.