nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Mar 12 23:20:18 GMT 1999

Hi,

I am struggling to understand the problem here. On first seeing Peter's EM
and on reading this EM, I divined the problem to be:

A multi-homed Samba server is registering itself under WINS with multiple
IP addresses (since it has multiple IP addresses) and the WINS server is
running on the Samba server.

A Windows NT client did a WINS lookup, got back two addresses and spat the
dummy.

However, other emails I have seen seem to suggest that people believe the
problem is that a multi-homed NT box is being registered multiple times and
other Windows NT clients are having problems with what nmbd returns.

Can someone clarify which of the above is the case, and then I can crawl
back into my cave.

It so happens that I do have the resources to set up a multi-homed Win NT
machine ... So I could test the second scenario, I could also test the
first scenario.

At 04:19 AM 3/13/99 +1100, Peter Polkinghorne wrote:

>Just an update - I sent more details to Christopher R. Hertel & Luke Kenneth
>Casson Leighton - but working on the assumption it is:
>
>	nmbd-as-WINS -> NT workstation
>
>transaction that is at fault - ie NT workstation is expecting WINS server to
>give it one address for a NETBIOS name, but is in fact given 2 - I used
>tcpdump to sniff between biela - the Samba 2.0.3 WINS server and test-nt - a
>NT 4.0 sp3 intel box - kudos is a multihomed Samba server.
>
>Here is the result (sorry about all the ^M):
>
>callisto.brunel.ac.uk% ~peter/tcpdump-solaris-2.5 -i le0 -s 200 port 137^M
>tcpdump-solaris-2.5: listening on le0
>
>12:03:06.227154 test-nt.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns >
biela.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns
>:
>TrnID=0x802C^M
>OpCode=0^M
>NmFlags=0x10^M
>Rcode=0^M
>QueryCount=1^M
>AnswerCount=0^M
>AuthorityCount=0^M
>AddressRecCount=0^M
>QuestionRecords:^M
>Name=KUDOS           NameType=0x20 (Server)^M
>QuestionType=0x20^M
>QuestionClass=0x1^M
>
>12:03:06.228233 biela.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns >
test-nt.brunel.ac.uk.netbios-ns
>:
>^M
>TrnID=0x802C^M
>OpCode=0^M
>NmFlags=0x58^M
>Rcode=0^M
>QueryCount=0^M
>AnswerCount=1^M
>AuthorityCount=0^M
>AddressRecCount=0^M
>^M
>ResourceRecords:^M
>Name=KUDOS           NameType=0x20 (Server)^M
>ResType=0x20^M
>ResClass=0x1^M
>TTL=518141^M
>ResourceLength=12^M
>ResourceData=^M
>[000] 40 00 86 53 10 19 40 00  86 53 60 14              @..S.. at . .S`.^M
>
>Error sequence on NT:
>
>H:\>nbtstat -c
>
>No names in cache
>
>H:\>net use p: \\kudos\@gscratch
>System error 53 has occurred.
>
>The network path was not found.
>

>H:\>nbtstat -c
>
>No names in cache
>
>--
>| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
>| Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...