nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Mar 11 16:14:56 GMT 1999

> Now what is the solution:
>
> a) WINS clients (ie kudos in this case) only register 1 address
>
> b) WINS servers only give out 1 address (perhaps using DNS like approach of
> giving same subnet as requester if exists)
>
> c) NT clients accepting multiple address gracefully (the optimistic solution
> :-))
>
> The other thing I have not been ale to test is what a multihomed NT box
> does - we do not have any.

It would, of course, be best to know what NT does.  However...

It makes sense that a multi-homed host would register multiple IPs per
unique name.  The name represents a service, and NetBIOS is only being
emulated over TCP/IP.  So, the Service exists on multiple emulated
NetBIOS networks, all sharing a single WINS server.  Uhhhrrgh.

I think that the right way for the WINS server to behave is to look at the
query packet and figure out, as best it can which of the IPs would be on
the same TCP/IP LAN.  Of course, the WINS server doesn't know the routing
table of the client, so the only way to do this is to see which of the IPs
in the list is the closest match (from high-order to low-order, bitwise).

If that doesn't yield anything worth-while (I think that, in most cases,
it will), then hand back a randomly selected IP from the list.

Chris -)-----