Preventing password changes on remote computers (encrypted

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 10 16:54:00 GMT 1999

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Beau Kuiper wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I needed to be able to prevent the users on a network I am setting
> up from changing the special guest account we have set up. We
> are using samba as a PDC on a win 95/win 98 network. We use
> encrypted passwords so we could have a separate unix user list to
> the samba users list.
>
> Now instead of asking someone for a solution to my problem, I
> actually coded one myself. I have attached a patch doing this.

excellent (luke, trying to be encouraging).

1) *unfortunately* i've _just_ modified this _exact_ area of code in the
last day or so, and your patch clashes with in in cvs main.

2) your new format for private/smbpasswd is incompatible with the old
format.  can you arrange so that the length is left at 14 characters? some
of those bits are mutually exclusive (fortunately) - ACB_NORMAL, WSTRUST,
SVRTRUST and DOMTRUST.  hopefully jeremy didn't realise this so we have
some spare room in there :-)

if you _have_ to make it 15 chars then pls make sure you can read old
format (14 chars) as _well_ as new format.  remember, mod_smbfilepwd_entry
can only modify in-place.

3) is the new bit you're adding a standard NT one?