Samba and SunOS 4.1.4

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Mar 5 13:32:48 GMT 1999

Jeroen Schellart wrote:

> I am trying to compile samba 2.0.3 on a Sun Sparc 5 Sation. I running SunOS
> 4.1.4. When I am running configure all goes well except for the summary
> check. I get a message that locking is not available.
> Is my c-compiler to old or do I need new libraries?
> In the mailing lists I read that there are more problems getting samba
> 2.0.3 running  corectly on SunOS. Do older ditributions compile correctly?
> Which one should I use than?

	Could we either change the message in configure
	or add the following to the FAQ:

	If you get <locking unavailable>, you are either
	running an ancient Unix (v7 or older) or configure
	has failed.  This message is the logically last
	test done by configure, and if configure had internal
	errors, it will complain about locking.
	It is known that gcc 2.7 compilers will trigger this:
	upgrade to 2.8 before attempting further dignosis.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com