Pain and loathing wrt IPC$ passwords on comp.protocols.smb

Fri Mar 5 12:20:34 GMT 1999

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 11:15:27PM +1100, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> can anyone tell me what all the fuss was about IPC$ and passwords in the
> transition from 1.9.18 and 2.0.0?

Is it possible that this comes from the changed default for the
security parameter? 1.9 was 'security = share', 2.0 ist 'security = user'.

If you have a machine that does LMB and does not have all users that
want to look at the network neighborhood in its /etc/passwd, you
might try to set 'map to guest = bad user'. For me that works
fine.

Volker