nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 14:29:19 GMT 1999

Having just tried to move our Samba based WINS server from an elderly
1.9.16p10 to a somewhat less elderly 1.9.18p10 server - I encountered an
unusual problem.

The other main change I made was to make all the Samba servers aware of the
new WINS server which is also the domain master.  A lot of our servers are
multihomed and thus have names such as magda-8 meaning host magda on subnet 8.

Where 134.83.108.1 is the old WINS server and 134.83.108.11 the new (and both
have "dns proxy = yes") using nmblookup I get the following:

moomin.brunel.ac.uk% nmblookup  -U 134.83.108.1 -R magda-8
Sending queries to 134.83.108.1
134.83.8.1 magda-8<00>
moomin.brunel.ac.uk% nmblookup -U 134.83.108.11 -R magda-8
Sending queries to 134.83.108.11
134.83.8.1 magda-8<00>
134.83.96.11 magda-8<00>
134.83.192.2 magda-8<00>
134.83.136.3 magda-8<00>
134.83.48.1 magda-8<00>

... so with the new WINS server a single Netbios name resolves to multiple IP
addresses.  (Magda of course has an interfaces = statement).

The Windows NT workstation (4.0 sp3) using the new WINS server is unhappy when
given a "net use \\magda-8\SHARE" command - returns:

System error 53 has occured.

The network path was not found.

Is nmbd at fault here (or are Microsoft wrong)?

Should I just upgrade to 2.0.3 (something I plan to do in due course)?

My workround for the moment is not to inform the Samba servers about the WINS
server and let DNS resolve the names.