How to close previous SMB Connections (VCs)

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Thu Mar 4 15:02:18 GMT 1999

Look through the archive.

A few weeks ago I posted our solution to this problem.

Your options are these:

 - set 'keepalive' in your smb.conf to a small number of minutes

 - use 'root preexec' to call a script with a number of arguments,
   including the share name, the client IP address, the netbios name the
   client was referring to and so on. That script should create a PID
   file with the smbd's pid stored in it; the PID file should be named
   after the arguments passed to the script; if the PID already exists
   and the pid it contains is not stale, then kill that pid.

You can combine both approaches.

Note that setting SO_KEEPALIVE is unlikely to be helpful (or harmful) in
these situations. Fortunately the SMB protocol has a keepalive feature.

Nico