NT Domain DoS and Security Exploit with SAMBA Server

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 3 20:00:06 GMT 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > > If you set the workgroup to be the same as the domain of
> > > the NT PDC you are referring to, Samba will attempt to
> > > register the workgroup<1b> record (due to domain logons being
> > > enabled).
> >
> > are you sure?  it should only register workgroup<1c>.
> > if workgroup<1b> is also being registered when
> > "security != user" then this is a mistake.
>
> Perhaps I am mistaken then.  My understandingh was
> the 'security = server' reported itself as
> user leve security

not sure.

> and could be used for domain
> logons.

yes, you can....  it looks like nt PDC attempts to contact such hosts as
BDCs and goes belly-up when the PDC has gone down for a while.

>  domain<1b> is used to locate the DC for a
> domain, right?

yep.

domain<1c> is for BDCs and DCs.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99