NT Domain DoS and Security Exploit with SAMBA Server

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 3 19:46:57 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > If you set the workgroup to be the same as the domain of
> > the NT PDC you are referring to, Samba will attempt to
> > register the workgroup<1b> record (due to domain logons being
> > enabled).
>
> are you sure?  it should only register workgroup<1c>.
> if workgroup<1b> is also being registered when
> "security != user" then this is a mistake.

Perhaps I am mistaken then.  My understandingh was
the 'security = server' reported itself as
user leve security and could be used for domain
logons.  domain<1b> is used to locate the DC for a
domain, right?

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )