passwd's and access to shares

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jun 28 11:47:32 GMT 1999

Hi,

At 01:15 AM 6/28/99 +1000, beef at cybertouch.org wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Last night for an experiment I changed my passwd on my FreeBSD/Samba server
>and left my passwd as it was originally on my NT box. Immediatley after
>changing my passwd, I was still able to access all the shares. However, this
>morning I cannot.

Hmmm, did you try to access a new share? Ie, with a net/use or anything
like that?

Any shares that were already being accessed on an existing connection would
still be accessible, because the Username/password thingt happened when you
first logged on.  If you changed your password on the Samba box, then this
would not have much impact, unless you tried to access the Samba box from
another client with the old password.  It is kinda like logging on, then
changing your password.  You do not get kicked off.  However, when you log
back on, you will not be able to use the old password to log on again.

>It makes complete sense to me that I am unable to access any shares with a
>different passwd on the FreeBSD/Samba server than on the NT box (same
>username). But it does not make sense that I was able to access the shares
>right after changing the passwd.
>
>So here is the question. Is there a certain amount of time needed so that
>any change in passwd's will prevent a user from accessing the shares? It
>seems like the passwd mechanisms on both machines talk to each other...just
>that they take their sweet time about it.
>
>Thanks and have a great day :-)
>
>Lanny

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Samba (Team member www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member www.zing.org)
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours