NT Timestamps and copy

Michael C. Povel Michael.Povel at hub.de
Tue Jun 22 14:00:01 GMT 1999

Hello,

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > after searching for a reason of our timechanges, when copying files
> > from a NTFS partition to a samba share, on samba 2.0.4b, I discovered
> > that after setting "nt smb support = No" everything seems to be OK.
> > Without this, the timestamps changed, when copying files from NT4 to
> > samba from a NTFS filesystem.....
>
> can you explain this in a bit more detail? timestamps seem to be fine
> when copying from NT4sp4 to Samba here. Perhaps you could give an
> example? What tool are you using to copy the files? How much are the
> dates off by?

We are using samba 2.0.4b as File and Printservers with security=domain.
When I copy a file from my workstation to our samba server without any
"nt smb support" statement in our smb.conf, the file gets the actual
date and time stamp, if it comes from a ntfs filesystem on my
workstation.
When the file was on a FAT filesystem, and I copy it, the timestamp
keeps korrekt, as the of last modufication. It doesn't matter, if
I copy the file with the Explorer or with a normal copy command in a
4NT-Box.
The problem appears under Linux with glibc and also with libc.5

As mentioned before the main point was the ntfs filesystem on the
source, which I don't realy understand....

If you need any more iformation, please mail me.

cu

Michael