force mode

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Jun 18 17:15:45 GMT 1999

Cole, Timothy D. wrote:
>         Hrm.  The intended use of force mode, then, is also file creation.
> Getting back to the 'security mask' and 'security force mode' things, can
> anyone come up with any scenarios where limiting the permissions that can be
> explicitly set via the SMB interface is useful, without giving the admin a
> false sense of security?

	I think I've missed something in this discussion somewhere:
	if I can
		set specific permission bits with "force create mode"
		unset others with "create mode",
	then what then can't I do at file-creation time?  It looks
	like I can constrain the user to set or not set anything I want,
	which makes me the final arbiter of the permissions.

	This also adress the case of an implicit creation (ie, the
	PC program creating a new fild during editing).  It does no
	t address the case of a user changing permissions, but then
	we're not discussing that yet....

	So it looks like the only other possible thing I might
	want is a value to set an initial value, in the equation
		result = (initial & mask) | force

--dave (feeling fairly stupid this week) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com