Problem with rpcclient svcenum command

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Jun 17 16:50:39 GMT 1999

take a netmon trace.  stare at it.  take a look at MSDN API (in this case
*Service* functions, e.g OpenSCManager).  note the similarity between data
over-the-wire and the MSDN function parameters.  look in
include/rpc_xxxx.h (in this case, rpc_svcctl.h).  work from a similar
example.  cut/paste code in rpc_parse/prs_svcctl.c.  cut/paste code in
rpc_client/cli_svcctl.c.  cut/paste code in rpcclient/cmd_svcctl.c,
rpcclient/rpcclient.c and rpcclient/display.c.  compile.  fix.  send
patch.  smile.

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Tim Potter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton writes:
>
> > > I get the following error when trying to list services on a remote
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > smb: \> svcenum
> > > svcenum
> > >
> > > SVC_ENUM_SVCS_STATUS: ERRDOS - ERRmoredata (There is more data to
> > > be returned.)
> > > Memory allocation error: failed to expand to -916717568 bytes
> > > svc_io_r_enum_svcs_status: Realloc failed
> >
> > please send me a netmon trace from nt to nt.
>
> Err, is netmon a UNIX program or an NT one?
>
> > > Is there any way to start/stop services using rpcclient?  That would
> > > be pretty neat.
> > ?
> > not yet.  anyone want to look at this
>
> I'd be keen if you could give me a few tips to get started.
>

> Tim.
>
> --
> Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer, Head Bee Guy
> Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg Australian National University,
> Canberra 0200, AUSTRALIA Ph: +61 2 62798813 Fax: +61 2 62798602

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99