new parameter: "secure include"

CAE Samba Admin caesmb at lab2.cc.wmich.edu
Thu Jun 10 18:45:53 GMT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, David Collier-Brown wrote:

>CAE Samba Admin wrote:
>>         1.      root must own the file
>>         2.      the file must not be group writable
>>         3.      the file must not be world writable
>
>	Ditto the enclosing directories, up to the root must
>	be secure against my renaming the real directory and
>	shoving my version into place. The usual shortcut is
>	to do only the lowest-level directory, as if it's right
>	the others usually are.

	I understand the the loophole, but want to clarify the
fix/shortcut (sorry, I'm not the most experianced unix programmer).

	If the actualy config file (not the symlink) is:

	/usr/local/samba/lib/smb_globals-dept.conf

	Then I should ensure that /usr/local/samba/lib meets the three
conditions as well.  Also, it is accepted that checking this directory
alone (not everything before it) is secure?

Thanks,

Kevin