Do not use stock RedHat 6.0 kernels with SMBFS!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Jun 9 20:35:38 GMT 1999

Alan,

Alan Cox enscribed thusly:
> > 	This problem may also have been present with the SMBFS module
> > and smbmount program from the 2.0 kernels.  Since I do not maintain
> > that version of smbmount, I'm unaware if the problem existed in those
> > earlier versions or not.

> As far as I am aware Red Hat, and most of the other vendors ship with the
> win95 work around enabled as that (at least was) the normal platform, and
> crashing win95 boxes would give Linux a bad name, even if it wasnt Linux
> fault.

> The real big problem is that the WIN95 workaround isnt a mount option. Or
> better yet autodetected.

	One other point about this...  While there is a mount option (ugly),
the mount option is totally inoperative when the compile option is enabled
(yes, I had a slight typo in my previous message where I said enabled
twice).  Even IF I put the code into smbmount to autodetect the Windows 95
connections (which I want to do), the user space program can not override
that compile option if it's enabled.  If the compile option is disabled, I
can set or clear that "feature" on a mount-by-mount, connection-by-connection,
basis.  As long as that option is enabled in the build, I'm screwed.  I
can't do anything from user space to correct the problem.

> Alan

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/