Do not use stock RedHat 6.0 kernels with SMBFS!

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jun 9 20:11:03 GMT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> Um, quite frankly, why would anyone use the stock kernel anyway?  The
> point of the stock kernel is to get the system running well enough to get
> a custom compiled kernel, IMHO.
>
> Besides, the stock kernel for RH 6.0 isn't all that good anyway - I get
> TONS better performance on my own compiled kernels... and not NEARLY as
> much space in modules.

This is all the more important an issue because it affects those novice
users who don't know how to recompile their kernel to fix the problem, or
those large installations who don't have time to do so on all their
machines.  The fact that the default kernel needs to be general-purpose and
non-optimized is no excuse for it to be broken...

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer