Samba & trapdoor uid (fwd)

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Jun 7 15:35:09 GMT 1999

> > I made Samba 2.0.4b today, and while running the configure script, a
> > message appeared that said, "Trapdoor uid, Samba might not run correctly".

that usually indicates one of the following:

1) that the OS has trapdoor UIDs. I think that is unlikely for OpenBSD
2) our source/tests/trapdoor.c code is broken on OpenBSD
3) somethng is screwed up on your system

the last possibility is a real one, it happened to me with a RedHat
5.2 box that was partly upgraded to redHat 6.0, leaving the C library
stubs in an inconsistent state so that the trapdoor test segfaulted.

Have a look at config.log and see if anything unusual shows up near
the trapdoor stuff. Otherwise try trapdoor.c as a standalone program
and add some debug code to it.

I'm tempted to remove the trapdoor detection code completely, and
instead go back to our old runtime test scheme that looked for failed
seteuid() calls. We have had more problems with the test than with
real trapdoor platforms (which luckily are now fairly rare).