cannot login to FreeBSD/Samba Server from NT or from the NET or dialup..

Lanny Baron lnb at freedom.cybertouch.org
Sat Jun 5 05:37:34 GMT 1999

Hello,

As I am not subscribed to this list, if you should be able to help me, please
mail me directly back.

I have Samba-2.0.4b running on  FreeBSD boxes. I have an NT 4 Service pack4 as
the PDC. Up to a few days ago, I think just when I installed 2.0.4b from 2.0.3,
I am no longer able to logon to my Samba server Freedom. It will not load my
/home/lnb/Profiles, but rather constantly make a new profile. People who use
some of my shares via the net can no longer get on them either. As well, anyone
of my dial-ups cannot logon (they can login to the NT RAS) but they must
uncheck logon to network.

I have no clue what has caused this. On the phone last night to a Samba team
member he also is a little stumped at this and suggested I post here. The other
strange thing is. Even though when loging directly on the NT terminal and
you hear the h/d chugging away on the FreeBSD/Samba server, and after
about 3 minuets a message pops up that the local (yes not roaming) profile
cannot be loaded, it makes a new one as stated above. However, upon click
Network Neighborhood, the shares are visible on both Samba servers.

I have over the last 3 days deinstalled and reinstalled both Samba and NT to
see if something was corrupted. But it appears not.

The permissions for the profiles for any user(using mine) are rwxr_xr_x for
/home/lnb/Profiles  and in the dir of Profiles is a file called netlogin.pds.
It has been working flawlessly for quite a while. But all of a sudden, the more
I think of it, since I installed 2.0.4b things have been getting worse. Can't
print (my printer is connected to my Samba Server) from windows NT, I can print
on the Samba box (cat some_file | lpr)

So if you have the help I could use, please, help me out.

Regards,

Lanny Baron
http://ca.samba.org/samba/samba.html

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from freedom.cybertouch.org (216.183.4.2)
# Date: 1999/06/04 20:02:31

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CYBERTOUCH
        server string = Freedom Networks FreeBSD/Samba Server 1
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = WIRED
        username map = /usr/local/etc/username.map
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        logon script = netlogin.pds