New param "source environment"?

William Stuart wstuart at hae.com
Thu Jul 22 19:38:45 GMT 1999

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Michel Banguerski wrote:
> >
> > > The main problem i have is licence issues: i give much credit
> > > to GPL (there is an autograph of Richard Stallman on the laptop
> > > i use to write this mail :o), unfortunately trendmicro is not
> > > ready for the open source adventure.
> >
> > doesn't matter: libraries are exempt.  if you can write up a vfs module
>
> Luke, you are incorrect. Please don't say that.
> Just to be very clear here - libraries are *NOT* exempt.

For the record, there are two Gnu Public Licenses, GPL and LGPL.  Any
code can be released under either, and I believe SAMBA will release it's
library code under GPL.

GPL we are most familiar with, I will not rehash an explanation here.

LGPL allows propritary software that links to LGPL libraries to remain
propritary, as long as the libraries are not modified or any
modifications are released (i.e. like GPL).

LGPL was invented by RMS to promote certain Libraries in to general use,
that would not have gained such wide acceptance if the resulting
software written against them was "GPL tainted".

RMS is now encuraging certain writters of libraries not to use LGPL if
their library would give an advantage to the Open Source community, and
does not have LGPL competition.  In fact, the L used to stand for
library, now stands for lesser.

See: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

--
William Stuart (wstuart at hae.com)