NT file-permissions

Allan Bjorklund allan at umich.edu
Thu Jul 22 19:25:10 GMT 1999

--On Friday, July 23, 1999, 5:19 AM +1000 Allan Bjorklund <allan at umich.edu>
wrote:

> --On Friday, July 23, 1999, 5:00 AM +1000 "Cole, Timothy D."
> <timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com> wrote:
>>	 Anyway, I can already see that the POSIX.6 definition of ACLs isn't
>> general enough for our purposes; HP-UX's implementation, while obviously
>> influenced by it, will not map to it very well.  vis a vis:
>     [Description of HP ACLs deleted.]
>>

>     And AFS has N user and/or group entries (registered with the AFS pts
> server) with lookup, insert, delete, administer, read, write, and lock
> permissions applied to directories.  The files in the directories take the
> permissions of the directory. The unix owner/group/other settings are
> ignored even though they are present.
>
>     Also, my experience tells me that the sticky and execute bits on files
> in AFS may also have an effect, but I haven't found documentation to
> clarify it.  Some programs pay attention to them, some don't.
>
> --Allan

    Oh, I forgot, AFS rights are either positive or negative
(i.e., logical not).

--Allan

  Allan Bjorklund                  |                  allan at umich.edu
  Systems Research Programmer      |           University of Michigan
  Research Systems UNIX Group      |               535 W. William St.
  Information Technology Division  |              Ann Arbor, MI 48103
  1-(734)-763-9391                 |                           U.S.A.