Is it possible to access SMB server behind firewall?

Simon Murcott simonmu at optimation.co.nz
Wed Jul 21 22:59:49 GMT 1999

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Pushparaj S wrote:

   I have a SMB server running on Sun Solaris behind firewall. I would like to
   access this from  a NT box which has internet connection using net command
   something like this net use * \\100.100.25.2\sharename. Is it possible? Any
   software already in the market supports this kind of connection? If I want
   to do this programmatically what is the best way to do this?

The TIS plug-gw will work if you plug port 139 on the firewall to your server.

Other things are NAT and filtering.

You only need port 139 if you want to get at files. You will need ports 137 and
138 if you want to browse this machine but I would not recommend it.

Just make sure you are aware of what security implications this has for your
company.

Regards

Simon Murcott

 A closed mouth gathers no foot.