wins server

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Jul 19 21:23:56 GMT 1999

Jon,

DNS names and NetBIOS names are two very different things.  It is a common
myth (thanks to Microsoft) that the two can be easily mapped one to the
other.  It *can* be done, but it isn't easy and you really need to know
what is going on before you even consider trying.  Again, NetBIOS names
are *not* the same as DNS names.

If you are using TCP/IP as your transport, all of the machines should have
DNS entries.  Keep in mind that a given machine will have several NetBIOS
names, including group names which may apply to several machines.  Also, a
NetBIOS name doesn't have a DNS Domain (unless you're using scope--which
doesn't work the way it was intended anyway).

The mapping of NetBIOS names to IP addresses was designed as a mechanism
for emulating an IBM/Sytec NetBIOS LAN across a routed TCP/IP network.  I
really like to encourage people *not* to confuse the two namespaces.

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---