wins server

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Jul 19 21:06:13 GMT 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Allen, Jon wrote:

> how do I add a WINS server to the search path (i.e.. /etc/hosts, dns server,
> next I want the WINS server).  How do I do this?  I know that it will
> involve nsswitch.conf (actually I have a pretty strong feeling), but I don't
> know what line to add (this is a Solaris 2.7 machine).  IF you have any
> ideas, or any place to get this info, I will be very appreciative.

A WINS server is not really meant for DNS resolution, and to my knowledge no
NSS module has been written which queries a WINS server.  To use a WINS
server for Samba, you need only add 'wins' to the 'name resolve order' in
your smb.conf, and specify your wins server's IP with 'wins server = <IP>'.
See the smb.conf man page for further details.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer