Samba Server Problems

Art Ross aross at donet.com
Sun Jul 18 02:38:18 GMT 1999

Well, I've configured a Samba Server on a Linux
system running RedHat 6.0.  I've been trying to
debug the enclosed configuration with the
assistance of the author.  Unfortunately, we been
unable resolve the problems.  I'm unable to see
the Linux box in the Network Neighborhood of my
Windows 98 machine.  Would you please review my
data and provide any helpful suggestions you might
have to resolve any unforseen difficulties in my
configuration.  Being a newbie, I'm at wits end
and don't know the Linux well enough to find what
may very well be the obvious.
  Of course, if you have a completely different
approach, I'm all ears to any suggestions you
have.
  Thanks in advance.
  Art Ross

The following lines provide the contents of files
for my Samba configuration and the output from
testing.

Here goes:
My network is at home containing three
workstations, Einstein, Smokin_joe
and
Quantum.
Einstein is the Samba Server and is running RedHat
6.0,
Smokin_joe uses Windows 98 and Quantum is running
RedHat 5.1.

Copy of my 'hosts' file

127.0.0.1       localhost
localhost.localdomain
177.177.177.6   Einstein
177.177.177.2   Smokin_joe
177.177.177.8   Quantum

Copy of my 'lmhosts' file

localhost         Einstein
177.177.177.2     Smokin_joe
177.177.177.8     Quantum

The line you stated that must be placed in my
/etc/services file is as
follows.

swat                   901/tcp             #Add
swat services used via inetd

The line modified in my /etc/inetd.conf file is as
follows.

swat stream  tcp   nowait.400  root
/usr/sbin/swat    /usr/sbin/swat

A copy of my 'hosts.deny' file.

#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of
the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local
INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to
remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and
hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!
#
  ALL:ALL

A copy of my 'hosts.allow file

#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of
the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET
services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
#
   swat:        127.0.0.1       177.177.177.
   in.telnetd:  ALL
   in.ftpd:      ALL

I now restart inetd with the command, # killall
-HUP inetd.  The next
step is to modify the smb.conf file.  My resulting
smb.conf file is listed
below.

Copy of my 'smb.conf' file

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from Einstein (177.177.177.6)
# Date: 1999/07/10 01:33:25

# Global parameters
        workgroup = PHYSICS
        netbios name = EINSTEIN
        server string = Samba SMB Server
        interfaces = 177.177.177.1/24 127.0.0.1/24

        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SHARE
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        read bmpx = No
        time server = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = smbuser
        hide dot files = No

[public]
        comment = Public
        path = /home/public
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        guest ok = Yes

[data]

        comment = Data
        path = /home/samba/data
        read only = No
        create mask = 0660
        directory mask = 0770
        guest ok = Yes

Once the smb.conf file is created, smb is stopped
and restarted using,

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

Upon typing the command # smbclient -L localhost,
I receive the following,

Domain=[PHYSICS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.3]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        public         Disk      Public
        data           Disk      Data
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service
(Samba SMB Server)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        EINSTEIN             Samba SMB Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        PHYSICS

Upon typing the smbclient for the Windows 98
machine,
# smbclient -L Smokin_joe   I receive the
following,

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        SHARE_F        Disk
        SHARE_D        Disk
        SHARE_C        Disk
        IMAGES         Disk
        SHARE_A        Disk
        PRINTER$       Disk
        HP 855 CXI     Printer
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter
Process Communication

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SMOKIN_JOE           The Windows 98 System

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        PHYSICS              SMOKIN_JOE

Now when I execute "net view \\Einstein" on
Smokin_joe (Windows 98 machine)
I am informed that it cannot find the Samba Server
(Einstein).  Oh dear
what
is wrong.  When I ping the Samba Server from the
Windows 98 machine it can
be found.  Even though I'm a newbie, my feeling is
that my Samba Server
configuration is not allowing permission to the
Windows 98 machine to
access it.  Why I don't know?  There is something
outside of Samba on my
Linux
machine that is configured differently than on
yours.

When I execute the following command, nmblookup -B
einstein '*' , I receive
the following,

Sending queries to 177.177.177.6
177.177.177.1 *<00>

177.177.177.6 is the Samba server IP (Einstein)

When I execute the following command, nmblookup -B
Smokin_joe '*', I
receive
the following,

Sending queries to 177.177.177.2
177.177.177.2 *<00>

177.177.177.2 is the IP of Smokin_joe the Windows
98 client.

When I execute the following command, nmblookup -d
2 '*', I receive
the following,

Added interface ip=177.177.177.1
bcast=177.177.177.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.0.0.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Sending queries to 177.177.177.255
Got a positive name query response from
177.177.177.6 ( 177.177.177.1 )